Move “off the line” is our best advice for increasing breakfast participation. More and more schools are finding that moving breakfast from the cafeteria to the classroom is the key to breakfast success. In fact, in its annual School Breakfast Scorecard, the Food Research and Action Center (FRAC) credits alternative service models for Breakfast After the Bell, including Breakfast in the Classroom, Grab-and-Go, and Second Chance Breakfast as the “most successful strategy for increasing school breakfast participation. Breakfast after the bell service models overcome timing, convenience, and stigma barriers that get in the way of children participating in school breakfast…”
Breakfast BREAKS: Fast & Nutritious
Breakfast BREAKS are a cornerstone to successful Classroom Breakfast programs. This product line evolved from the simple concept that to feed more children, bring the food to them rather than expect them to come to the food. Now available in more than 20 varieties in eye-popping pouch packaging, Breakfast BREAKS are nutritious, shelf-stable and include utensils – developed for easy serving and quick clean-up.
Alternate-Site Breakfast a Win-Win for All
- Children start the day well-nourished and prepared to learn
- Food service programs receive significant funding through federal breakfast reimbursements
- Teachers spend less time disciplining students and more time teaching; eating breakfast in a classroom also strengthens student-teacher relationships
- Principals notice improved grades and test scores
- Superintendents supplement their overall budget with revenue generated by the breakfast program
- Parents are grateful to administration and staff for providing their children with nutritious breakfasts
10 Reasons to Try Breakfast in the Classroom
- No child should start the school day hungry
- Not all children are able to eat at home
- Your school has a breakfast program!
- Breakfast in the classroom gets more students to participate
- Breakfast in the classroom requires minimal work…
- … and can have great payoffs!
- Ensuring that students eat breakfast helps create healthy habits for life
- Breakfast can be incorporated into lesson plans
- Breakfast in the classroom allows teachers to spend time with students
- Students will thank you