It’s that time of year when the kids are back-to-school lining up for school breakfasts and school lunches. But what about AFTER SCHOOL? According to the Afterschool Alliance, more than 15 million school-age children (26%) are on their own after school. And while 8.4 million K‐12 children (15 percent) participate in afterschool programs, an additional 18.5 million would participate if a quality program were available in their community. (Afterschool Alliance, 2009)
After School Meals Programs are gearing up across the country to feed more hungry children than ever before. From Pomona, California to Boston, Mass., E S Foods is providing our shelf-stable and thaw and serve Meal Breaks to numerous After School Meal Programs. Here’s our Top 10 Reasons why you should consider Meal Breaks for your after school meals:
1. Quality and Nutrition –
-All meals provide protein, 2 fruit servings, and whole grains, plus 8 ounces of milk
– Meals are low in added sugars
2. The afterschool enrichment program is usually NOT administered by the foodservice department, and providing portable meal solutions allows students to remain in their typical rooms or areas — food is not a significant distraction from the afterschool curriculum and is very easy to run.
3. Easily Manageable Food Costs – no losses from food preparation, no leftovers or waste.
4. Food Safety – concerns with temperatures and holding food at safe levels for many hours after close of lunch is not an issue with Meal Breaks
5. Economic Sensibility – afterschool meal program does not require money from the general education fund to operate
6. An upgrade from the normal afterschool snack – an enhanced snack to provide more food and needed nutrition to keep the students engaged in their programs.
7. Meets all USDA requirements
8. Food choices include California peach fruit cups, California raisins, tuna and chicken salads low in added fat, sunbutter, string cheese, deli sandwiches with turkey breast and other turkey based meats (turkey bologna, turkey salami)
9. National branded products parents and schools are serving to their kids at home and at school
And beyond rules, regulations, nutrition standards, etc . . . . let’s not forget
10. MEAL BREAKS TASTE GREAT! KIDS WILL EAT THEM!