Time is running out for Congress to pass a robust Child Nutrition Reauthorization bill before the November elections. Now is the time to ask your Members of Congress to bring H.R. 5504 to the floor. If Congress doesn’t act by September 30, the food and nutrition programs will likely be extended under a continuing resolution, but we will have missed a chance to enact carefully crafted reforms that improve both the quality and nutritional value of school meals, and that improve access to programs for the large number of children who are eligible but not enrolled in programs that work.
There are three actions you could take to help pass Child Nutrition Reauthorization:
1) Please call or email your members of Congress, and in addition you can call House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, who ultimately have the most influence over moving this legislation forward. The message is simple – tell them to pass a robust child nutrition bill before it expires at the end of September (see below more specific instructions for calling and e-mailing).
2) Pass this call to action on to all of your friends and family.
3) Write a letter to the editor for your local newspaper.
Here is information on how to call/email:
• Call 1-866-277-7617 and ask to be connected to your representative’s office.
• Email your senators and representatives in support of child nutrition reauthorization via: http://www.hungeractioncenter.org/fastaction/default.aspx